WEBSITES TO VISIT:

NEWS UPDATES:
(3) Portfolio of prints (work in progress)
PRINTMAKER AND PAINTER:
(5) My Janus file: Some impressions of
TO THE LIGHTHOUSE by Virginia Woolf

Sunday, February 21, 2010

MONOCHROME MONDAY - THE CHESS PLAYERS, UNION SQUARE PARK, NYC




    In just about all weathers, they're out here to be challenged -








    'Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun' - snow and
    ice still to be seen at the curbs. 
    



Do visit Aileni's maniac MONOCHROMEWEEKLYTHEME here


7 comments:

  1. Playing chess must make them oblivious to the cold and snow. A simple case of mind over everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reminded of fishermen fishing round a hole in the ice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like there are photographers out also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look cold. I think I'd rather sit in the sun - or go for a brisk walk then head home! Fine shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved our trip to NY last year, didn't get to see the chess players, so thanks for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chess hustlers? I saw a great portrait of a NYC chess hustler in Terry Hope's "Portraits" book. I checked the book out of the public library a few weeks ago only to discover that some moron had ripped pages out. I found a used copy in good condition on Amazon for less than $10. I needed that one in my library in any case. So hurry USPS. I want that book yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got the wrong book. Duh. The portrait is titled "Chess Hustler, New York" by Les McLean. It's shown in his book, "Creative Black and White Photography" -- and excellent book.

    I seems that Les was wandering around a NYC park one day looking for photo subjects when a man approached him and asked if Les would like to play a game of chess for money (hence the hustler tag). Les declined but the guy agreed to allow Les to photograph him. The candid portrait is very well done.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOWERS

Blog Archive